August 9, 2015

The Abduction of Nelly Don by Parrice Williams Marks


Book Title: The Abduction of Nelly Don
Author: Patrice Williams Marks
Publisher: Circa Publishing
Publish Date: July 2, 2015 (252 Pages, e-books)
Genres: 1930s, book, Gangsters, thriller, true crime, true story, Non Fiction, Mystery
Disclaimer: I received this from Circa Publishing on Tomoson site for an honesty review
Description: Based on a True Story:

It’s December 17, 1931. Millionaire fashion designer, Nell Donnelly, has just left her factory, accompanied by her driver, George. She is on her way home to care for her sick infant son, David. She’s worked extremely hard to get to where she is today. From sewing dresses in a spare room, to a factory filled with over one-thousand employees, Nelly has achieved success by any measure.

But these are desperate times. The Great Depression, the effects of the Dust Bowl, has a chokehold on even decent men. Kidnappings are becoming commonplace, with only the more high-profile making the papers.

While pulling into her estate’s driveway, armed men block Nelly’s car and take her by force. There are unexpected casualties. However, Nelly has always had a survival instinct. She uses that instinct to find the right moments to escape her captors. But it is more complicated and dangerous than she could ever imagine.

Captain Harrison, a copper who needs to redeem himself, makes this case his priority. Her philandering husband Paul, rallies their employees in an effort to find her. Neither of these efforts, on their own, bring Nelly back.

Senator Reed, a powerful ally and friend of the Donnellys’, personally steps in to lead the investigation. He was unable to help a close friend, whose son was kidnapped and murdered. He is not used to failure and decides to take extraordinary steps to rescue Nelly. These steps cross him over to the other side. He elicits the support of two Kansas City crime bosses; both requiring quid pro quo in return. This deal with two devils may very well be Reed’s downfall.

Twenty-five car loads of hardened gangsters are unleashed and spread out over Kansas City in search of Nell Donnelly. Will their involvement lead to finding her alive, or lead to her demise?


What a story this turned out to be. You see how a woman had to work and get up in the world. Though most of this deal on kidnapping, You see what it like in 1930's. It more crime and Mystery of who is creating all the mayhem.

A Senator wanted to help a close friend and son. Though when he could not help them. He get another chance. Will he do everything to find Nelly Don? You learn and get twist and surprises around every corner.

As you read, you are wondering who is it is? You will want to know why? It get you to want read until you get to last page. Though for me It only held my interest. Though it a great. I say it an 4 to a 4.5 rating.

If you are a reader of crime and / or mystery. This may be a book for you.


Author, Screenwriter, Playwright

I’ve been a writer since age 6 when I pinned the wildly successful (in my own mind) THE DAY SNOOPY GOT MARRIED. My teacher at Nunaka Valley Elementary School was so impressed that she shared it with the entire school staff. Unfortunately, I never got it back!

I’ve written over 10 screenplays; some of which have been optioned. Hoping one will make it to the big screen some day. I envision Universal’s spinning globe, with its majestic horns announcing the opening of the film … my film. Gives me chills.

I’ve also written and directed a few short films, “STRINGER,” about a rogue photog on the edge of a nervous breakdown, and “F-HARMONY”; a funny spin on the dating site with an unexpected twist at the end. I’ve written and produced a short stage play, as well as founded “two film festivals. I’ve also written over ten screenplays; with two of them being optioned.

But after reading short stories from Derek Haas’ (bad-ass, big time screenwriter and producer/creator of Chicago Fire) website, aptly called “Popcorn Fiction,” (where he features short stories from writers), I decided to give it a go.

I came up the idea of marrying 1940’s Film Noir with Sci-Fi and ended up with “The Unfinished.” Love the idea of taking a character out of one world and implanting them in another… known as “fish out of water” story.

I’m also all about sharing what I’ve learned with people. Not only do I write fiction, but HOW TO books as well such as HACKING KICKSTARTER, INDIEGOGO: How to Raise Big Bucks in 30 Days, as well as WANT TOP CASH FOR YOUR GOLD?

But the novel I am currently working on, THE ABDUCTION OF NELLY DON, has me so excited as the release date is almost upon me.

Your feedback is always welcome, so please feel free to contact me!
Contact the Author: Facebook / Twitter / Youtube / Goodreads / Bloglovin / Website 

Please read my NRC Policies Page. Follow NRC: | Facebook | Twitter | Bloglovin | Pinterest | Goodreads | Google + | Smashwords | Fictfact | Riffle | Linkedin | Sign up for NRC Newsletter |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...